I have been asked for tips to become Ethical Hacker or Penetration tester via email. So In this article, i am going to guide you to get into the world.
If you are seeing this article, then it means that you already heard about Ethical Hacking and PenTesting. Anyway, i just like to give small definition about Ethical hacking.
What is Ethical Hacking and Ethical Hacker?
Ethical Hacking, also known as Penetration testing, is the process of vulnerability testing or hacking the system with a permission from corresponding vendor. Normally, organization who are in the need of security recruits Ethical Hacker or PenTester for improving their security.
Ok, let us come to the article.
How to Become an Ethical Hacker?
- Dedication : Dedication is the main key to become an ethical hacker. Don’t plan to become pentester because of money. If you really have interest, then go ahead.
- Reading : Be a bookworm. Try to read books related to computer and its architecture. Buy books related to Security and Ethical hacking.
- Know how hackers hack into: You can not solve the problem until you know what is behind the problem. So you have to learn method of hackers. How ??! Just read the articles provided in our site.
- Programming and Scripting: Learn Some programming or scripting languages because most of time you will need to write a code to break into a system. Also, you have to know the coding for understanding how a system works,then only you can penetrate into. Ok, which language?! My suggestion is C. I Love C programming. It is one of best,powerful language and easy to learn. Some peoples prefer python. As far as i am concerned, once you learned one language, it is easy for you to learn any other languages. There are are plenty of online programming tutorial sites are out there.
- Linux: Ok, it is time to switch from Windows to Linux. Learn to work with Linux.
- BackTrack Linux Distribution: Backtrack Linux is one of the famous Penetration TestingLinux distribution. This backtrack is funded by Offensive Security. It has almost all penetration testing tools required for security professionals.
- Get Certification for Ethical Hackers: Some organization recruits based on securitycertification. You can learn and get ethical certification from your nearest center. Search in google for these keywords “CEH”,”OSCP”,”security certifications”. Anyway, if you have dedication and confidence, you don’t need a certificate and get into a firm easily.
- Forums: Participate in any Security or ethical Hacking related forums.
- Need help?! feel free to contact me
There are plenty of jobs available in government organisations, banks, , military establishments and private companies. India requires more Ethical Hackers